Wednesday 26 February 2014

Am I My Brother's Keeper Now?

I  walked pass him on the floor that day,
No encouraging words for me to say,
I wasn’t the one to set him straight
He’ll learn some day, or meet his fate.

He warned me to, leave him alone
Although I knew, that he was stoned,
He couldn’t possibly work like that
But I wasn’t about to be a rat.

The dangerous work was already done
Now take the truck out for a run,
I’ve done that many times before
But I wasn’t stoned, working on the floor.

What could go wrong, I thought once more
As the truck now backed out through the door,
Once around the block and he’d be back
I thought as the tire came off the rack.

Am I my brother’s keeper now?
I’m not the boss here anyhow,
How could I even justify
If something happened to that guy.

Then someone shouted, “there’s been a crash”
I hurried and saw the truck was smashed,
A witness said he’d been zoned out
He tried to warn him with a shout.

If only I had done my job
Then his young life would not be robbed,
I chose to look the other way
Now some boys dad wouldn’t be home today.

How could I face his kids and wife
Knowing I could have probably saved his life,
The guilt I live with now is great
I could have changed that young man’s fate.

If you see a co-worker, in harms way
Please be responsible and have your say,
Go help him if that’s what it takes
And if not for you, then for his families sake.

Cause at the end of every, long hard day
When quitting time comes, and we’re on our way,
Leaving behind the stress and strife
You’ll feel so good, for saving someone’s life.

by Randy Burton
Words In Motion 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment